Monday, September 29, 2008

A new season

It's me, cancer-free, and checking back in! It's been awhile, and so here's what's been going on:

My "all-clear" check-up was last Thursday, the 25th. I'm still waiting for the final blood work results - they were going to mailed to me on Friday if all was well, or I'd get a call today from Dr. Hartung if anything was amiss. So far, I've seen/heard neither! However, I did ask her if I could say I am "free of cancer." She said YES, I've been free of cancer since the surgery, and all this is to remove any microscopic cells remaining, and help prevent recurrence. I am scheduled for a mammogram this Friday, I'll meet with Dr. Hartung every 3 months, and then I'll have an MRI in 6 months. I'll also have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Koeplin. I'm to notice and report any strange symptoms all throughout.

I have recently read in several articles (one while waiting for my free pedicure at the Aveda Salon 2000 in Woodbury - part of their wonderful Pampering Partnership for women undergoing chemotherapy/cancer treatment) that the triple negative ER/PR/HER2 type of cancer is more likely to recur. I hadn't really heard that before, but then I read it in several places. I asked about this, and the answer is that because it's not Estrogen receptor positive, it would not respond to any of the oral medications that are prescribed for 5 or so years after the other treatments. So, keep the prayers coming on that one, please!

I had a fun evening out with some great friends and fellow cub-scout moms, with a couple of surprise long-time friend guests as well, last Friday. Since life is short & every day is a gift, I'm doing my best to plan some fun things and spend some time with positive, encouraging people!

I've been back at work full-time since the 15th. That has been going pretty well, especially with a few new additional responsibilities to keep me busy (understatement!). I'm very thankful for my job as well, as there have been some painful job eliminations recently. It's always good to continue to grow & learn & develop yourself! Maybe some training or classes would be a good idea. My friend Kim suggested we take the Salsa dance lessons coming up in Community Ed! I'd count that as exercise, right? :O)

My fabulous friend, Jenny, and I have decided to co-captain a 3M team (also non-3M members) for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk around Lake Nokomis on October 11 (which very appropriately, is also my birthday - more reason to celebrate this year & every one after!). We've already sent out emails to many of you asking you to walk with us if that day works! The ACS encourages each walker to raise $100 in donations, but there is no minimum at all. I feel sort of guilty asking for donations after all the help that's already been so generously poured out to me, so please don't feel obligated in any way! It's a great cause that effects many more than the 1 out of 8 women that are diagnosed with breast cancer in their lives - sons, daughters, mothers, spouses, friends, etc. Here's the link to our team page: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY09Midwest?JServSessionIdr001=y6g9uxssc2.app311b&team_id=341437&pg=team&fr_id=11701

You've probably noticed it's breast cancer awareness month - PINK is everywhere!

Mike and I joined many others for the annual 3M Service Awards Banquet @ the Mpls Convention Center on the 20th. It was 20 years for me on June 15th. Wow! The dinner was very good and the entertainment, Super Diamond, was excellent, too! Even the dance floor was packed (not by us, however!). A nice evening. And thanks to Grandma, Aunt Colleen, and Jessica for hanging out with the boys! :O)

Alec and I were out shopping one rainy day & with amazing luck found & purchased a WII FIT. We've since been "working out" so to speak! We've practiced many of the balance games, which are particularly good for me with the continuing neuropathy in my feet. It's much better than sitting on the couch (not that there is much time for that, either!).

Kevin & I ventured to Afton Apple Orchard yesterday & braved the minor drizzle to pick a big bag of tart Haralson apples. Also HAD to get a big bag of Honeycrisp, our favorite. We also managed to find & pick 3 pints of red and golden raspberries. The golden ones always remind me of my grandma, who grew red, black, and golden raspberries in her enormous garden. Talk about the benefits of a basically organic garden! We didn't know how blessed we were with all that fresh produce!

Evenings are often filled with helping Alec & Kevin with homework. Kevin thinks it's quite unfair that he as a 2nd grader virtually always has more homework than his 4th grade brother! We are currently working on a diorama of a Magic Tree House book due next Monday. They are both doing well and enjoying seeing old friends and making new ones. They are also busy with scouting activities.

I'm still fighting fatigue, so I'll conclude (it's really 9:53 p.m. right now, not whatever time it says I posted). Again, thanks to you all for following along on this journey & encouraging me every step of the way. I'm so thankful for all the support shown to my boys, also, which has made this easier for me, allowed them to feel more "normal" than they would have otherwise. Please keep in touch! God bless and remember this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice & be glad in it! We are not promised tomorrow, so let's spread His light today!

No comments: