Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Right on schedule

It's been awhile since I updated....so here's the current scoop.

I went to work for 2 half days last Monday & Tuesday (14th & 15th). I was fairly surprised to find this just wiped me out! I have since been approved to work from home (up to 4 hours daily, per Dr. Hartung, probably 3 days a week or so). I purchased a Wireless Router yesterday & just need to get that set up today & I should be ready to roll. Working from home will be really nice, particularly to avoid "extra" germs while I have a suppressed immune system, not to mention conserving the energy required just to get "ready" in the morning & drive in. Need to keep those blood counts up & the chemo treatments on schedule. Let's keep the end in sight!

I wound up at the oncologist's office last Monday after work for a very "itchy" hand (near the site where the chemo IV was). Now I have steroid cream to apply there, and it is much improved. Again, if this got out of hand, it could delay the chemo. So many interesting side effects....

I also had an eye exam Friday, partially to explain this other side effect. Just once, I saw a "halo" light in both eyes that actually distorted the magazine (healthy recipes!) I was reading. The explanation was similar to a migraine (I've never had one). The eye doctor said that some people see the halo but don't get the headache. He said he was not surprised that I'd have this resulting from the chemo drugs. He said I did the right thing by just sitting & closing my eyes for 20-30 minutes. Otherwise, my vision had not changed. I was due for some glasses, though, so ordered up some more "stylish" ones. I made sure the woman assisting me knew I wanted to look "good" even without hair and eyebrows! Everyone there (Mead Optometry) was very helpful.

The most disturbing thing right now is that my hair is falling out hand over fist. It is right on schedule, 2-1/2 weeks after the first treatment. I knew this would bother me, and it really does! It bothers Alec a lot, too. I'm going Thursday after chemo, with my sister, to have the remaining "chemo hair" removed and the wig styled. I showed my boys the wigs last night, and even tried one on for them. They decided I didn't look like me and "where are your curls?"! Alec thought I looked like Nancy Drew! So, I think I will be getting one more - a curlier one so it won't be as "shocking" to them every time they look at me. There are many websites with good hair pieces, at significantly lesser prices (www.bestwigoutlet.com for example).

I did meet friends for lunch last Thursday and Friday which was really nice. Heard about some skin care ingredients that are not so great, so spent probably 8 hours on-line researching some of that. I think I'm driving myself crazy with that, since there are virtually no products that don't contain at least something questionable. I'll need bifocals just to read the tiny but massive lists of ingredients on every product! However, the database "rating" many of these has "data gaps" of up to 90%+ in some cases, so they aren't sure either!

I'm scheduled for chemo this Thursday the 24th @ 10:45. My sister again will accompany me and we'll find a good light movie to watch. My friend, Coreen, has agreed to pick up some lunch for us & deliver it! We're thinking that new Noodles linguine with asparagus - maybe double the asparagus! Healthy & delicious greens! So, please pray that my counts will be good and that I won't be delayed.

Oh, we had the pleasant surprise of a phone call on Saturday evening from my cousin, Diane, from Cedar Falls. She & her family were in Woodbury for their son's soccer tourney and had some time on Sunday. We met them at our church and enjoyed a short visit before & after the service. Very nice!

I want to continue to thank all of you for your on-going prayers and support of our family. You are showing the love of God every day in your actions and we are so grateful. We are also praying for several (too many) others that are fighting this cancer battle. One of my dear friends had surgery yesterday. One other friend lost his battle last week, and his family needs lots of prayers and support as well. We pray for God's continued comfort and peace and strength for all of these, His children.

1 comment:

Arnold and Gail said...

Dear Wendee,
Keep up the courageous fight.
God is with you. You will win this
struggle.
God Bless You.
Arnold and Gail Sulman