Monday, April 28, 2008

Two down, four to go

As of last Thursday, I am 1/3 complete with the chemotherapy treatments. The treatment itself, again, went fine. I met with the nurse practitioner, Judy, this time. We reviewed my counts, etc., which were all good (white blood cell counts were actually high - as expected -because of the Nuelasta shot). She said the "bad news" was that I could have the treatment. No kidding! I wrestled through a tough weekend again. I think we managed a few of the side effects better than the first round, but I still was exhausted and "down" for the count. I'm certainly not 100% today, but gaining some ground.

I also visited A Fitting Place again, with Jenny and Sonja, this time, to remove the "chemo hair" following my rainy day chemo treatment. I was feeling very unprepared, except for the mountainous handfuls of long hair coming out of my head every moment, which helped me determine that I was making the right choice. It was honestly not nearly as traumatic as I expected. It's weird to get used to that sight in the mirror, however, of a closely shaved head (not as nice & fuzzy as the boys' because of bald patches!). Definitely tougher for the boys, especially Alec. He really doesn't want to see me without something on my head. Fortunately, I do happen to have more hair accessories of various kinds than ever before in my life, so I am fairly well prepared. "Normal" and "reality" just keep changing. I just need to keep up and make it the best it can be for me and them.

I had tickets to the Castings Crowns concert on Saturday night with friends, but just did not feel up to it (even just walking around in ~30 degree weather did not sound appealing). So I had to just praise God here at home, instead!

Today was a day of much needed rest. After visiting the chiropractor for my weekly adjustment and dropping the boys at school, I came home, did my 2-mile walk (exercise is medicine, too) with not as much energy as usual, but hey, cancer hates aerobics. I finished up a couple of books that I had previously started, which dealt a lot with "human moments" and learning to make the most of every minute of the fleeting time we have on this earth. This whole thing has been a huge wake-up call and I need to make sure I don't slip back over to the "just endure and walk the treadmill" track again.

I've also been listening to some CDs that offer powerful healing & restorative action. Some are selections gathered for positive reinforcement (thanks, Linda!), and others are relaxing, healing, or guided imagery and affirmation. Music has always ministered to my soul, and this challenging time is no exception. I've even been playing Alec's "We're Off to See the Wizard" piano music when I get a chance - his 3rd grade performance of "Oz" will be May 22nd. Very fun and exciting!

I hope that each of you knows what a tremendous blessing you are in my life. I apologize if I have not made sure you know what you mean to me and my family. We had much greatly appreciated help this weekend from friends and family and we are very thankful for everything. And tonight, Mike's cousin's family took the boys for supper and on to Alec's baseball practice (Mike still has EMT classes every Monday & Thursday evening). It gives me time to rest and re-energize, which are both crucial for quick and complete recovery. I thank God for each of you and for your generous and caring hearts.

1 comment:

Linda Ash said...

Hi Wendee, I have been thinking about you so much and wanted you to know you are in my prayers as you move through the treatments and returning good health. You have done such a wonderful job of keeping all of us updated on your progress especially considering the treatments are making you so tired. Now that May is here and spring is starting to come (finally), I hope that you have some chances to get outside and enjoy all those things we can't when we are at work. Take care and please contact me if you are ever in need of a ride, an ear to talk to or support in an other way. I do have flexibility in my schedule and would be happy to help. (651) 430-0875