Friday, July 18, 2008

6 out of 6!

Chemotherapy number 6 out of 6 is complete! Yeah! Once the side effects have come & gone, it will be time to celebrate! Sonja & I did get a nice Dunn Bros Ice Crema drink yesterday, so that started it off. My counts were good - thanks to all for your specific prayers! I am working on 3 and 4 hours of sleep for the last two nights, so please forgive any nonsensical ramblings...

And....it appears I'm starting to have a tiny bit of baby fuzzy hair growing! The Nurse Practitioner even rubbed my head! So, that's good. Now, to determine what texture and color (better not be gray!) I'm going to get. Hopefully it won't decide to fall out one last time....

My next step is to research some good radiation creams for that stage of treatment. I have several in mind, so I feel better about the upcoming radiation. I anticipate less interruptive side effects, such as the foggy chemo brain, lack of taste buds, super dry mouth, and steroid crashes resulting in major fatigue.

I've found several good cookbooks, with some suggestions from a neighbor. This weekend my sister is joining me again to hopefully cook up something for the week. The Best Light Recipe cookbook by Cook's Illustrated has a ton a great cooking information describing how they made really delicious recipes lighter without compromising taste or texture. I think we'll give a couple of those a whirl (okay, she does most of the work & I mostly sit back!).

I also wanted to note that Mike's 40th birthday is next Tuesday, the 22nd. I'm afraid we won't be throwing a big party this year, for a variety of reasons (some very obvious!). Maybe we'll have a party for his 41st....what a young pup!

Alec completed Safety Camp yesterday, and I did make it to his graduation ceremony. Passed on the great looking cake, though. He learned a lot and had some fun! He starts his baseball tournaments this evening, which will continue throughout the weekend (for awhile anyway!). I'll probably miss most of those games, unfortunately.

A prayer request. Our long-time day care provider, Chris, found out early this week that her sweet little 3 month old grandson passed away from SIDS. Little Austin was born to her son, David, and his wife, Megan, on April 8th. This entire family could certainly use prayers during this extremely difficult and tragic time.

We so, so, so appreciate all the help that you all have been offering and providing! It's really nice when the boys can be off having fun elsewhere without worrying about me sitting in a chair not being their "normal" mom. We're hoping to plan a little "caregiver" get together once the radiation is past. I'm thinking a little Cossetta Eventi Mostaccioli Con Ricotta on the deck! :O) As always, we cherish your prayers and positive thoughts! This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! Have a blessed weekend!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi, Wendee,

My sister bought me some wonderful healing cream when I was going through radiation. I recommend the whole set of products you'll find at http://elara-skin-care.com/radiation_burn_skin_care.html
Be sure they give you lots of Radiaplex and ask for 'gel sheets' too.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts as you enter the next stage of treatment.

Sue

amberna85 said...

Have you ever heard of the vitamin b17? It's a natural way to kill the cancer, the vitamin attacks the cancer cells and pushes them out. Finding the source instead of covering the symptoms. and it won't come back. I've researched it a bunch and my friends mom used this method along with prayer of course and was healed completely and never came back, it's been over 6 years! In the bible it says that god gave us the seeds of the earth. and that is exactly what b17 is, it's most potent form is found inside the seed in the pit of apricots.So God did give us a cure for cancer! And you won't get sick or side effects with this method. It honestly is worth a try. The government covered it up in the early 90's because they make more money with chemical treatments and surgeries and medications. Hope you are doing well. I realize this addition is awhile past july, so I hope you get this:)