Saturday, July 12, 2008

Almost there....

Sorry so long since my last posting. I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July. I came in the house early from our neighbors' annual party & watched a Christmas in July movie. I did watch the fireworks from inside.

Only 5 more days until my FINAL chemotherapy treatment! Number 5 really was exhausting. I again took extra steroids to ward off any itch/hive problem. They really caused some major fatigue and "foggy" brain - for virtually the entire next week! I didn't work too much during that time; I could barely speak coherently on the phone! And it resulted in me having that puffy "bulldog" bumpy cheek appearance, which was fairly disheartening whenever I looked in the mirror. It has finally subsided....I just might reduce those steroids myself this next time...Oh, and the hot flashes & night sweats are no picnic either (unless it's a picnic in the blazing hot sun!). Those may or may not be permanent...we can "treat" them once I'm finished with the chemo treatments...do I feel old???

I also had my initial appointment with Dr. Bellairs, the Radiation Oncologist, this last Thursday. First we (Sonja & I) met with the nurse, Kim, who was just wonderful & explained things - even flipped through a little photo album to show me what to expect. After discussing options, we are going with the "Canadian Protocol" which involves daily radiation treatments for 3 weeks and one day, rather than daily for 6 weeks (I get the weekends off either way). Each dose will be about 25% higher than if using the traditional protocol, but she anticipates fairly similar side effects, which will most likely consist of fatigue and a "sunburn" in the treatment area. Both the doctor and the nurse cautioned that the fatigue will build up over a period of time, and then it will also require a similar period of time to gain my energy back (we're talking weeks on both ends). She said I'm starting at a "deficit" coming off of chemotherapy and it's own brand of fatigue. In any case, my first "dry run" day is August 4th, and then, assuming I don't have to miss any because of the flu or anything, my final one is 16 treatments later on August 26th. There is an end in sight! The oncologist anticipates I'll be able to work half days or maybe a little more during radiation. I also had a CT scan and got 3 tattoos! These will help ensure the machine is lined up correctly. I asked if that's how it felt to get a regular tattoo - if so, I'm not ever getting one! That would hurt! Ouch! :O)

Yesterday was the 2nd annual Cottage Grove Relay for Life. My mom & step dad were up, Mike's mom, sister, and niece came over, and my good friend, Coreen, joined me for the caregiver lap right after the survivor lap. They really do honor the survivors at these events. It's just strange to think I'll be a survivor every year, not just this year. No wonder these events grow & grow every year. There were people that have been survivors from 3 months to 51 years! There seemed to be a good turn out and many teams had games & items for sale, and of course the Silent Auction was in action. They did, unfortunately, have to shut the whole thing down around 8:30 or so because of the impending nasty weather conditions. So, no luminarias lit around the track this year. I would love to be more involved next year and organize a team to walk and raise $ to fight cancer....so be thinking of joining me!! The more the merrier! The good news is that it's just across the street from our home (assuming it will be in the same location) and we wouldn't even have to use the good old Biffys!

This last Wednesday, I had 3 high school girlfriends come up to visit and take me and another good long time friend, Jane, to the Plymouth Playhouse to see "The Church Basement Ladies II: A Second Helping." We enjoyed dinner at the Green Mill first, and then had many good laughs. It was funny how very reminiscent the set was to the basement of the rural Iowa church I grew up in! Right down to that tall kitchen stool and the Wonder bread bags to cover the leaky boots in the winter (set in 1969-1970). Very fun! Thanks Anita, Pam, and Tammy! :O)

On this same day, Mike took and passed his final national EMT exam the first time through! Now he's official, and life can hopefully get a little bit back to normal, without as much studying for exams. Way to go!

Today was Kevin's baseball tournament, so we watched his game at 11:00. His team lost, so they are done for the season. Alec's tourney is next weekend, but I doubt I'll be feeling perky enough to make it to those games. Alec is also going to attend a local Safety Camp for 3 days this week, which sounds like it includes many great learning activities.

It seems like I'm getting busier and busier and not necessarily following all my healing routines like I should be. I'm hoping/planning to get back at that this week. Daily devotions, exercise, tea (I'm doing okay with that!), eating healthy, inspirational reading and music. I have to start planning how I'll accomplish this once I get back to the office (not sure exactly when yet). I need to keep using the reverse osmosis filtered water for drinking & for daily tea etc.. And I'll need to keep daily exercise in the mix as well. Some things to think about...

I will end for now and promise to post again soon! I want to thank everyone for your continued prayers and positive thoughts and helping hands and generous hearts! We've had so many wonderful helpful gifts in so many ways and I am so humbled and thankful. This could easily have been a nightmare experience without all of you - I pray blessings to each one of you!

No comments: