Friday, March 21, 2008

In and Out...

It's Good Friday, and the 2nd day of Spring (although you wouldn't know it looking out the window). My family is all looking forward to celebrating the Resurrection of Christ this Sunday! And, I think I'll feel well enough to participate.

My surgery was at 7:00 yesterday morning, and I was home by 9:30. Dr. Koeplin said the surgery went well and that we should have the pathology report by Monday. He said not to be surprised if they don't find any cancer - that doesn't mean it was missed, it would mean the "positive margin" was such a small area. I am also scheduled with him for a follow-up next Friday, and then with Dr. Hartung on Monday the 31st. It sounds like I might have my chemotherapy class that next day (April Fool's Day). So, the ball will continue to roll.

I am scheduled to visit "A Fitting Place" in Hastings on Tuesday for a hair replacement (?) consultation. I may try other places as well, depending on the outcome of this visit. Many new experiences.

I rested all day yesterday and was looking very pale. I really didn't take any pain meds, but just controlled the pain with cold packs. I did manage to read a book and listen to lots of healing music CDs my sister brought over. My sister and mom cooked up some recipes to eat and/or freeze. Right now there is a big crock pot of Cindy's spaghetti sauce simmering.....does it ever smell wonderful! It's nice to be cozy inside while the snow is flying outside. I'm feeling quite a bit better and stronger today, but obviously still need to take it slow.

Interesting Surgical Note: A surgeon is required to mark the "spot" where the surgery is to be performed with a permanent marker on your body (his/her initials) prior to surgery. He said if you ever see one coming with a ballpoint pen, direct them to a sharpie! This is a good thing, as I'm guessing it was implemented to avoid those unfortunate accidents of removing the wrong thing.

Once again, thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers for our family. I don't know how people go through things like this without a "support" group and a faith in God. He is walking along beside me every step of the way, as I get better every day!

I wish you all a very blessed and happy Easter!

4 comments:

Arnold and Gail said...

Dear Wendee,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
God Bless You.
Arnold and Gail

Teresa M said...

Happy Easter to you and your family. Your strength and positive attitude continue to be an inspiration to all of us. I look forward to hearing more good news from the path report on Monday. Best wished for a speedy recovery. XOXOX and punches in the arm.

Jenn said...

Hi Wendee,
You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It is so good to see you being positive and faithful. You have a great support of family and friends. I hope to hear good news from your next doctor's reports. Continue to stay strong and faithful.
An old classmate,
Jennifer (Schilling) Pothast

Julie Robinson said...

It is great to read your progress! You attitude is good, and it sounds like you are being fed well! That always helps too!

thinking of you often!