Monday, March 31, 2008

Less is more, well, better, anyway

I met with Dr. Hartung on this very snowy & wintry morning. Turns out I actually "squeaked" into the criteria for Stage 1 rather than Stage 2A as previously determined. This was because there was no remaining residual disease in the re-excision pathology report. We also reached a decision on the course of chemotherapy (pending insurance approval). It will be just two of the chemotherapy drugs (just like one side of the clinical trial, but not as part of the clinical trial), with a treatment every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. I'm scheduled for the chemotherapy class this Wednesday afternoon, with my first treatment to be Thursday. My last treatment will be July 17th if all goes as planned. There are several other drugs that will be part of this overall plan, including steroids and Neulasta (for white blood cells counts). She said to beware of the steroids, they may keep me awake & I'll be up cleaning the house all night. Yikes! Anyway, it's good to have a "plan" and start moving forward. There will still be radiation following the chemo. Either once a day for about 6 weeks or twice a day for about 3 weeks - TBD.

I'm also planning to look into some additional natural health care to help with healing & side effect minimization and emotional & psychological health. They offer quite a few through Woodwinds. I've also had several other "connections" which I have yet to check out. This learning curve is enormous & the days are flying by!

This afternoon, I had a call from a sweet local lady that is part of an organization called Chrysalides (sent by my good friend, Coreen). She then stopped by with a little gift bag for me - full of 9 (!) hand-sewn cancer hats - the soft knit fabric kind. And a tiny fuzzy white pillow just for hugging when I need to. She said they've found that the child in us comes out during times like these. The pillow has a little tag that reads: Know that you are not alone What an encouragement!

One last thing...if you are looking for an easy & delicious salad - this is my latest - a bag of baby Romaine topped with lots of fresh sliced strawberries and then sprinkled with Trader Joe's raspberry dressing. I think I'll add some toasted nuts next time for protein. Healthy eating doesn't have to be painful - I'm planning to eat healthier pretty much from now on, so making it tasty is essential.

Please keep the prayers coming....I think this may be the bumpiest part of the road coming up. We so appreciate your thoughts & prayers! Take care & take time to stop & smell the roses.

2 comments:

Jill S. said...

Hi Wendee -- I'm so glad to hear that you are done with surgeries and your cancer is gone!! The next steps are awful to think about, but are necessary 'insurance policies'. I'm behind you 100%, and hope there is something I can do to help you .... rides to and from treatments, more Pasta Fagioli soup, babysitting your sons, shopping for you at Trader Joe's .... you name it, and I'll be there! Much love, Jill

Charlee Frederixon said...

hMs. Wendee -
I am so sorry I have been out of touch. I have been getting on and reading your updates and am so happy things are going well - you are such an inspirational and positive, strong woman. Thank you for sharing your courage and strength!! Have you set up a night for me to watch the boys?? :) Big Big hugs!!! Love you - Charlee