Friday, March 28, 2008

Negative is Positve

Yes, there is a new vocabulary, in which "negative" is positive. I met with Dr. Koeplin this morning and had all good news. There are no more positive margins. So, the surgery part of the treatment is complete, and we move on to the systemic portion, chemotherapy. I'm scheduled to meet with Dr. Hartung on Monday morning and we'll make some decision regarding standard treatment vs clinical trial, etc. It's likely I'll have the chemotherapy class on Tuesday afternoon and possibly start treatments as early as next week. All to be determined.


I'll meet back with Dr. Koeplin after chemo and radiation are done. I asked about future "screenings" since the cancer was not detected at all on a mammogram, even when we knew where the lump was. It may need to be an MRI in the future. Again, all to be determined.


Jenny and I had a good day on Tuesday at "A Fitting Place" in Hastings and I did purchase a wig (thank you to my work group for the VISA gift card!). The proprietor was excellent and explained what to expect, etc. She will remove the "chemo" hair when it starts to fall out and then do any additional styling to the wig. The sad part (okay, one of several) is that the wig is actually cuter than my own hair! I would recommend this place to anyone experiencing medical hair loss that would like personal and sensitive assistance.

It looks like a beautiful sunny day to sit outside and absorb some Vitamin D - which I have learned is very essential in preventing cancer. Just need to leave off the sunscreen for 15 minutes or so. Also, as a little nutrition tip, it's a good idea to eat a Brazil nut daily - you know, those big ones left in the bottom of the can of mixed nuts - they contain selenium which is an important nutrient. Oh, and of course, garlic is right up there as a top cancer preventing agent.

Exercise is very important as well, so I suppose I should go walk a mile or two this afternoon. I did the 3-mile walk video yesterday, with limited weights, but haven't found time yet today.


Today has been a good day, but I've had a few less good ones this week. I'm sure I should continue to expect some amount of roller coaster ride on this journey. I do always have an underlying hope, no matter the circumstances. This is from my faith in God and because of the constant support and prayers of so many of you. Thank you for continuing on with me and my family!

I hope everyone has a great and peaceful weekend. Our kids are on Spring Break next week, so they are looking forward to no school for awhile. :O)

2 comments:

Cindy Martin said...

Hi Wendee -

After returning from vacation, I was just getting caught up on your Blog. While gone for 3 weeks, Coreen was very kind to give me updates, too. I am so proud of how brave and courageous you are! You are "one of a kind" my dear sister! I laughed when I read the part about earing more garlic!! Hmmm - doesn't that give us a laugh or two! If you need anything, PLEASE give me a call - I am 5 minutes away. If you need some company - I'm here!

Take care Wendee. I am so very proud of you and your tremendous attitude - only from you - sister!

Love ya - Cindy

Sue said...

Hi, Wendee,
Happy to hear your positive, negative news! Thinking of you often.
Sue